Mamidi allam chutney, a lip smacking chutney recipe from Andhra cuisine. Mango ginger/mamidi allam, also known as Curcuma Amada / Amba Haldi / Aam Adrak is a plant from ginger family closely related to turmeric. It resembles ginger but has a raw mango taste. Mamidi allam chutney, a simple marinated version of pickle goes very well with curd rice.
Ingredients for mamidi allam chutney
mango ginger- 250 g;
gingelly oil- 1 tbsp;
chilly powder- 1 tsp;
salt – to taste;
asafoetida – 1/4 tsp;
lemon Juice – 2 tbsp;
dry roasted & powdered methi seeds+mustard seeds- 1 tbsp.
Green chilies – 4
steps to prepare mamidi allam chutney
1. Wash the mango ginger thoroughly and Peel them.
2. Chop them to desired size
3. Finely chop the green chilies. Transfer the chopped mango ginger and greeen chilies to a bowl.
4. Ad salt, methi powder and the juice of 2 lemons to the cut pieces.
5. For seasoning, add a tbsp of oil, fry mustard seeds, asafoetida. When the mustard seeds splutter, switch off the flame.
6. Add a tsp of red chili powder to the hot oil and immediately add the seasoning to the chopped ginger mango pieces.
7. Mix everything well and garnish with coriander leaves.