Bhindi Masala is a popular Indian side dish. It is made with okra, onions, tomatoes, Curd & spices. This flavorful bhindi masala is tasty, delicious and healthy too. This aromatic bhindi masala is best enjoyed with roti, chapathi or naan.
- This Bhindi Masala can be served as a side dish for lunch or dinner. It also goes well in a lunchbox. It is one of the favorite dish for my kids. So, i make this very often. It is very simple and easy to prepare.
Health benefits of okra or bhindi
- Bhindi is also a rich source of antioxidants so helps in fighting the free radicals
- It is a good source of vitamin B, C, K, potassium & calcium.
- This low calorie veggie is nutrient dense and keeps you full for longer.
- Bhindi is a fiber rich vegetable that helps in digestion, prevents constipation & stomach problems.
- Helps in reducing cholesterol & stress, helps to manage diabetes
- It is a good source of folate (vitamin b) so it is very good for pregnant women.
Tips on how to prepare bhindi masala
- Always wash and wipe the bhindi dry before chopping. While chopping, wipe off the sticky residue on the knife.
- Always choose tender and young bhindi as they get cooked faster and taste good.
- Allow them to cook on a medium flame. Stirring them frequently makes the bhindi more sticky and slimy. So do not stir frequently
- Do not chop them very small as they turn more sticky while cooking.
- Few drops of lemon juice can be added to the bhindi while frying if it turns sticky.
- When adding curd, make sure it is lump free. Beat the yoghurt smooth before adding to the pan.
- After adding the curd to the pan, stir continuously till it mixes well. Otherwise it may curdle.
- 200 grams bhindi (or ladies finger or okra)
- 1 tbsps oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 Bay Leaves or tej patta
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- a pinch of Asafoetida
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 1 large tomato (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tbsp curd/yoghurt
- salt as needed
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tbsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Water as needed
- finely chopped coriander leaves or cilantro for garnish
How to prepare bhindi masala
- Wash bhindi under running water. Drain them and wipe them dry with a clean kitchen cloth or paper napkin.
- Chop off both the ends and discard them.
- Cut them to 3/4 inch pieces.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Saute bhindi on a medium flame until they are partially cooked. This takes around 7 to 8 minutes. Stir ocationally.
- Transfer the bhindi to a plate and set aside.
Steps to make bhindi masala
- Add 1 tbs butter to the pan. Then add bay leaves, cumin and asafoetida.
- When cumin slightly changes color, add onions and saute them until they turn light brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 to 3 mins till the raw smell of the garlic goes away.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, turmeric and salt. Saute the spices for a minute.
- Then add tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Add a tbsp of thick curd and mix well
- Add 1/2 cup of water. Mix well & cook the masala for 2 mins. Adjust the consistency as desired.
- Add the fried bhindi to the prepared masala and mix well. Simmer for two more minutes
- Add kasuri methi and garam masala. Mix well
- Garnish with coriander leaves
- Serve bhindi masala with roti or rice.
More Side dish recipes for roti/ naan