Broad Beans Stir Fry is an easy, yet healthy side dish which is slightly spicy with a nutty flavor. Broad Beans are very nutritious. They are rice in vitamins, proteins dietary fiber and antioxidants. Boiled broad beans are seasoned with spice powder which is prepared from garlic, redchilies,urad dal and curry leaves. This recipe goes well with hot rice and ghee.
Ingredients for Broad Beans Stir Fry
Broad beans – 250 gms
- cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Dried Red chilies – 4
- Garlic – 3 pods
For the seasoning:
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin – 1/2 tsp
- Chana Dal – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt – to taste
Preparation of Broad Beans Stir Fry
- Wash the broad beans thoroughly. Pull off the edges and remove the fibers.
- Split the pod and check if they are clean inside without any worms
- Cut them into desired size
- Bring water to boil and add the broad beans. Add some salt and cook till soft. This takes 12 – 15 minutes.
- When the broad beans are soft, strain the water and transfer the beans to a bowl
- To prepare spice powder, Heat a pan and add garlic, urad dal, red chili, cumin and curry leaves. Fry till the dal turns golden
- Transfer to a blender and grind coarsely
- Heat a pan, add oil. When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin, chana dal, urad dal and asafoetida.
- When the dals turn golden, add the boiled broad beans. Add the spice powder and mix well.
- Saute for two minutes. Add chopped coriander leaves.
- Broad beans stir fry is ready to be served.
Enjoy Broad Beans Stir Fry with hot rice and ghee!!