Cucumber chutney is a very delicious and spicy Indian chutney which is prepared using yellow cucumber. This exotic and tasty chutney is prepared by adding cucumber pieces to some simple spices and a bit of tamarind which gives a tangy and spicy taste. This is a traditional Andhra chutney which is very simple and easy to prepare. This chutney can be prepared in different ways. But this version is a simple and easy one.
Ingredients for Cucumber Chutney
- Yellow Cucumber – medium size -1
- Green chillies – 3
- Coriander leaves – few
- Tamarind pulp- 1 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Fenugreek – mustard seeds powder – 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
For tempering –
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbs
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tbs
- Oil- 1 tsp
Steps to prepare Cucumber Chutney
1. Wash, peel and chop the cucumber to small pieces. Discard the seeds.
2. Add Fenugreek – mustard seeds powder(menthi podi), tamarind, salt, green chilies and coriander leaves. Mix everything well.
3. heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, red chili and asafoetida. Allow the mustard seeds to splutter.
4. When the mustard seeds splutter, switch off the flame and add red chili powder.
5. Mix everything well.
Cucumber chutney goes very well with rice, chapati/roti, millets, quinoa and sandwich etc.
Note: Fenugreek – mustard seeds powder is prepared by dry roasting 1 tbsp of fenugreek seeds and 2 tbsp of mustard seeds.
Roast them till they slightly turn golden. Blend them to a fine powder.