Ragda Chaat is one of the most famous street food you will find in Hyderabad. This white peas chaat is made with dry white peas cooked in onion tomato gravy and some spices. A very quick and Tasty recipe which can be prepared as a quick snack or for a party at home.
Ingredients for Ragda Chaat:
2 Medium Size Onions
2 Medium Size Tomatoes
1 Inch Ginger
2 Pods Garlic
2 Green Chilies
Few Coriander Leaves
1 1/2 Tsp Red Chilly Powder
1/4 Tsp Black Pepper Powder
1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 Tsp Cumin Powder
2 Tsp Kitchen King Masala
2 Tsp Pav Bhajji Masala
1/2 Tbsp Chaat Masala
Salt as per taste
3 cups Water
Method for Ragda Chaat:
1. Soak white/ yellow peas for 6 hours or overnight
2. To a pressure cooker, add the soaked white peas, potatoes, salt and turmeric. Cook till you get 5 whistles. Once the pressure releases, mash the peas and potatoes slightly.
3. Peel, Wash and roughly chop the onions, tomatoes, green chilies, ginger, garlic and coriander leaves. Add all these ingredients to a pan.
4. Add all the dry masala powders to the chopped ingredients along with salt as per taste. Add 2 cups water and cook on medium flame. Allow the ingredients to cook and reduce to half.
5. Once the tomatoes and onions have cooked and has completely reduced remove from flame allow to cool.
6. Transfer the cooled ingredients to a mixer jar and grind to form a smooth paste.
7. Transfer the ground paste to the pan, add the boiled peas and potatoes and dilute with 1 to 2 cups water. Cook the gravy on low to medium flame. Bring to boil and cook for 5 minutes.
8. To serve the chaat, take required quantity of the gravy to a plate. Top it with finely chopped onions, tomatoes, grated carrot, chopped coriander leaves and some sev. Squeeze half a lemon on the top and Enjoy!!
This gravy can be prepared ahead of time, chilled and stored in the fridge until use. This street food is filling and satisfying. Try preparing this recipe for a large family gathering. We can store the boiled peas & potatoes and gravy upto a week until use.
Pre plan and prepare this dish. once all the ingredients are ready it is very easy to assemble.